Stoney has been on the road for 13 years and still doesn’t know if he has made it in the red dirt scene.
“Have I made it? You could probably answer that better than me.” – Stoney Larue
Although he said he feels like he has made it in the fact that he can provide for his family (wife and 4 kids), and says that its longevity that makes it feel like he’s made it. He attributes his success to hard work and knowing what he wanted from day one. He never gave up and “if you love what you’re doing then you’ll be successful at it”.
He said the reason for the delay between albums is “quality over quantity”. If he was just a songwriter then he would have a lot more songs, or just a performer then he would just perform. The difference between “Velvet” (the new album) and “The Red Dirt Album” is more experience and seeing things on the road. The inspiration behind the new album is life’s experiences in general and documenting these experiences. The inspiration behind the title track “Velvet” is
“Wanting to be treated like royalty even though you may not deserve it”. – Stoney Larue
The factors weighed in for releasing the title track as the first single: 1.) It was the first song that was written for the album. 2.) It encompassed the album with the rhythm and vibe. 3.) It incapsulates the new & reflects on the old. 4.) Shows the diversity of what the band is doing now.
What is your favorite song you’ve ever written?
- The early stuff is the original building blocks for where he is now, but noted that “Downtown” is probably his favorite. It’s the purity of one of the first memories of writing.
What is your favorite song to perform?
- He doesn’t have a favorite song to perform and said that it’s the show in its entirety that is his favorite.
What is your favorite song ever written period?
- Why Me Lord by Kris Kristofferson came to his mind first because that was his grandpa’s favorite song.
- Shakedown Street by Grateful Dead
Why did you choose to cover Box #10 by Jim Croce?
- It was one of the first songs that wasn’t top 40 country that I heard from a guy that he worked with on an amp assemblyline. He would listen to it while he was working.
Who is your favorite person to perform with?
- Bob Childers, because Jason Boland told him that when he got nervous he would just close his eyes and invision Bob there next tohim on stage.
- “I play with Bob Childers everytime I’m onstage” – Stoney Larue
What do you like to do in your spare time when you aren’t on
- Mostly spend time with family, but also work out,write with friends, but mainly just be a dad and a husband.
Do you have any pets?
- 2 pets, a jack russell terrier named Austin that is 10 years old. Got him while living in Oklahoma with dreams of moving to Texas and playing music.
- Miniature Schnauzer that is his daughters named Lucy.